84000 Seeks a Technical Lead
84000 Technical Lead
84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha is a global nonprofit initiative that aims to translate all of the Buddha’s words into modern languages, and to make them available to everyone. This historic initiative has for the first time exposed a global audience to the Buddhist canon in the English language. Endorsed by some of the most senior leaders in Buddhism, 84000 organizes an international network of translators and scholars to translate source Tibetan texts into English, and through use of innovative technologies, make these translations available to a global audience.
At the end of its first five-year effort, 84000 has created a full-time position for a technical lead to expand the use of its global online reading room. Working internally, the Technical Lead will design and apply technology to integrate the editorial and translation departments into a more cohesive, streamlined effort. Working externally, the Technical Lead will spearhead design and development to continually improve the public reading room, adding new features such as an interactive glossary, search, annotations and citations.
The Technical Lead is a vital part of 84000’s organizational mission and operations and will enjoy full support of management in a collaborative and creative working environment.
About the Position
84000 seeks a Technical Lead with a passion and vision for using technology to transform how interested readers interact and engage with translations of Buddhist teachings. The Technical Lead will be the technology champion within the organization and inform application of technology for editorial and communications functions. This role is responsible for managing a small team of contract back-end and front-end developers to continue to advance 84000’s web-based publishing framework. The Technical Lead will also be expected to apply their software development skills directly, writing code and integrating team member’s code. This position will act as the primary technology contact for editorial and management teams.
- Lead the technical planning and software development for 84000 online platforms, including its public reading room, tools and resources for translators, translation workflow, and public communications website.
- Ensures that the technology vision, architecture and implementation align with 84000’s mission.
- Manage a team of contract developers and provide mentorship and project level leadership on development, design, and architecture best practices including but not limited to code reviews, technical design and architecture
- Lead, participate and collaborate in new development projects through the entire software development lifecycle, including planning, requirements analysis, design, development, testing, release, and maintenance.
- Communicate about technical capabilities with management and internal clients.
- Maintain awareness of product and technology trends within publishing, humanities scholarship, and web development.
- Prior experience with working with one (ideally several) of the following: web development, content management systems, TEI markup language, eBooks, electronic publishing, user experience, lexicography, educational technology, database design and management, query languages, and user interface design.
- Fluency working with database management systems required; experience with XML or NOSQL databases required.
- Requires minimum of five years professional experience in software development and some years of leadership and management experience.
- Excellent communication, diplomacy and collaborative skills required.
- Requires ability to successfully manage multiple priorities and to navigate demands of associates with competing needs.
- A strong ability to teach oneself new skills with minimal handholding.
Write an email cover letter with attached resume to email@example.com.