Creative Commons and Copyright agreements
All translations posted by 84000 are under Creative Commons License 3.0. In the spirit of Creative Commons, we ask that those who access 84000 translations kindly cite 84000 as the source in their attributions. Additionally, we ask that the translations provided by 84000 are not used for any commercial purposes.
For individuals and groups who may reference and/or rely on 84000 English language translations of materials in their own non-English language translations, an acknowledgement would be appreciated. Please note that the usage of 84000’s translations as reference materials does not constitute an endorsement from 84000.
2. Guidelines and technical details
84000 Creative Commons Licensing Guidelines
All 84000 translations are published under a Creative Commons License 3.0 attribution, non-commercial, no derivatives.
Creative Commons License CC-BY-ND
Full Creative Commons guidelines can be found on their website.
- Attribution You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Non-commercial You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- No Derivative Works You may not alter, transform or build upon this work.
From the point of view of 84000, the primary goal of attribution is to ensure that translations that appear online, in print or in other mediums identify the source translation in context. The context for dharma texts is critical as it defines the literary, social and “religious” environment in which the text was produced. This is an essential means of preserving the meaning of the texts as time unfolds.
- By uniform resource identifier (URI) to a particular translation (deep link), e.g. https://read.84000.co/translation/UT22084-062-018.html Purification of Karmic Obscurations
- By uniform resource identifier (URI) to 84000, e.g. https://read.84000.co
- By text, e.g. Published by 84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha
- Publishing a translation either whole or in part without referencing 84000
- Including the translation group, but omitting 84000
While non-commercial may seem straightforward definition, in practice complying with this clause is not straightforward. When in doubt, please consult 84000.
- Printing for reading
- Posting for free download
- Printing and giving away
- Any use by editors, advertisers or others to solicit money using the translations
No Derivative licenses allow users to distribute the translation as long as they do not alter the translation or create derivative translations. The ND license ensures that no matter how many times a work is copied and shared, the content of the copies will be the same as the original. The ND license does not permit remixing or adaptation.
- Publishing the whole translation online with ancillary material and notes
- Publishing the whole translation in print with ancillary materials and notes
- Publishing an excerpt without express permission
- Publishing the translation online without the footnotes
- Remixing the glossary into another glossary