Video Launched with a Bang
On May 6, 2014, we launched our very first animated video, in English and Chinese. Every Retweet or Facebook Share made within 24 hours was matched with US$1 by our generous sponsors. Thanks to our supporters and followers, we raised US$13,000 with our US$1 for every Retweet / Facebook Share campaign.
Here is a summary of the campaign results:
- In the first 24 hours, we had more than 8,000 views of the English video, and more than 200,000 views of the Chinese version.
- To date, there have been more than 25,000 views of the English, and more than half a million views of the Chinese.
- We’ve had more than 6,700 Facebook shares of the video (nearly 4,500 in the first 24 hours), allowing us to reach more than 1.2 million people—a record high for 84000!
- On Twitter, we had nearly 1,000 Retweets, 816 in the first day.
- Russell Brand (who also volunteered his talent as our voice over artist), Whoopi Goldberg, Wally Langham, Richard Gere and Jet Li all shared the video to their followers.
- Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche, Gyalwa Dokhampa Khamtrul Rinpoche, Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo, Jetsun Khandro Rinpoche, KIBI, Khyentse Foundation, Sakya Ratna Vajra Rinpoche, Rangjung Yeshe, Lotsawa House, Tibet House India, Robert Thurman, Sakya Nunnery, Siddhartha’s Intent, and Shechen Monastery also shared the video.
- The Chinese video, with a voiceover by pop star Chris Lee, also served as the launch for 84000’s new Chinese website.
This campaign wouldn’t have been possible without the creative vision of Giant Ant (Vancouver), Annie Bruss who led the social media campaign, and the dedicated team of volunteers – John L. Solomon, Isaiah Seret, and Sarah K. C. Wilkinson, who developed the creative concept and script for the video.
Last but not least, we offer a big THANK YOU to all our friends, partners, supporters, and to each and every one of you who helped to SHARE the video during our campaign, and for continuing to spread the word around.
The videos continue to live on our homepage. We hope they will help us reach new supporters, so please keep sharing with your friends and family. Your support goes a long way in ensuring that the words of the Buddha are being translated into modern languages and made available to all!
Posted: 24 Sep 2014