New Postdoctoral Fellowships Offered by 84000
84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha is pleased to invite applications for two one-year full-time (portable) postdoctoral fellowships, for the purpose of translating one or more texts from the Tibetan Kangyur into English. The translation will subsequently be published online in the 84000 Reading Room.
NOTE: Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to contact email@example.com for preliminary discussion of text(s) selection before preparing their application.
- Annual stipend: 50,000 USD
- The fellowship period begins on January 1, 2022 (or as arranged with 84000) and lasts one year. No other employment is permitted during the fellowship tenure, and the fellowship may not be held concurrently with other fellowships and grants.
- Completed applications must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than July 1, 2021.
- Notifications to applicants will be sent via email by August 1, 2021.
- Applicants must hold a PhD in Buddhist Studies, or a closely related field, officially conferred by an accredited university between January 1, 2016 and May 1, 2021.
- 84000 welcomes proposals from applicants without restrictions as to citizenship, country of residence, and proposed work location.
- A fellowship-in-residence may be proposed at any university or college, including the institution that granted the applicant’s PhD and the institution of current employment.
- The applicant must submit a letter from the proposed host university confirming its willingness to host the applicant for a one-year postdoctoral fellowship-in residence. If travel restrictions due to the current pandemic are still in place by December 2021, the postdoctoral position may be virtual.
- Mastery of relevant source languages
- Prior practical experience translating Buddhist literature
- The quality of the translation sample
- The quality of the proposal with regard to its methodology, theoretical framework, and grounding in the relevant scholarly literature
- Feasibility of the proposed work plan
- The applicant’s record of previous accomplishments
- Compatibility of the applicant with the proposed host university.
For more details on the application requirements, please view the April 2021 postdoc announcement here.
Note to potential host institutions
The applicant must request a letter of support from the host institution where the applicant plans to spend the one-year fellowship period. Please note that, as a non-profit organization, 84000: Translating the Words of the Buddha is not able to provide the host institution with funds for overhead costs. Applicants must therefore have prior approval of this from the host institution.
Posted: 9 Apr 2021