JOB VACANCY : Editors
84000 – Translating the Words of the Buddha formally invites applications for the full-time contract position of Editor, starting from November 2019.
The primary purpose of the Editor is to evaluate the work of the translators working for 84000 and to offer them guidance and assistance to facilitate the successful completion of their translations for publication. This will include working closely with the editorial director, other editors, copyeditors, and translators working for 84000.
The scope of work of the post are:
- Evaluation of translation drafts submitted to 84000.
- Correspondence with translators on textual, methodological, and terminological issues.
- Contributions to the editorial policies and textual resources of 84000.
- Participation in editorial meetings.
84000 currently has a need for more than one Editor, and is ready to consider applicants with a range of experience and seniority, from relatively recent graduates to scholars approaching retirement.
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD degree (or equivalent) in a related field
- Proficiency in both classical Tibetan and Sanskrit
- Additional proficiency in Buddhist Chinese is preferred
- Familiarity with Buddhist canonical literature, sūtra as well as tantra
- Substantial relevant experience and proven track record in professional translation, publication, editing, research and other related fields preferred.
- Excellent English writing skills
- Knowledge of living Buddhist cultures
Personal Qualities and Skills Required
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Openness, humor, tolerance, and patience
- Tact, diplomacy, and discretion
- Good organizational and managerial skills
- Able to work effectively in teams
Terms and Conditions
- This is a full-time contract position
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and skills
Interested persons should email their Curriculum Vitae, letter of application, and one letter of reference to the Editorial Committee at 84000 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin on September 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.